Monday, October 22, 2007

Apron

I keep forgetting to post something about the apron I'm wanting to make. So, here it is!

First things first, I've noticed that there are two basic types of aprons in paintings and the like. The first representation is of the waist variety. They tie at the waist and are fairly plain. Perhaps some pleats along the upper edge, but that's about it.




This one is simple with easy lines and shouldn't be that hard to make, but I'm weird and want to make one more like these second examples. Not to say it'll be that much more difficult, but it has a front and a back, interestingly enough. [Didn't realize until later that this next one has both aprons in it. Attention to detail!]


I've seen both representations in more than one painting, but the second I have seen more often. I'm not sure why, but the second is more distinctive. I'll likely make both as an exercise, but I'll prefer the second.

3 comments:

Reza said...

Hi! Read your blog, and we're working on the same period and the same things. Do I know you? I play in B3R in Calontir. I'd be happy to share my research with you--there are things I've done that I haven't uploaded to the German Ren group because I'm a few years before the official start of the group's focus period. Also, you can find some info on what I'm doing at elenanoel.livejournal.com. I'll have more projects on there soon. I'm starting to honeycomb smock my linen apron today. I've drafted a Housebook Dress sleeve you might find interesting--it's different than the one Marie Cadieux uses. I made Gwen a'Brooke's Housebook ensemble for her laureling.

Khaentlahn said...

Actually, we have met, though I've only begun my research in the last few months. It's been a lot of fun! I'm in Crescent Moon (if I haven't posted that before now heh) :)

elfchen said...

Hello,

im from so please excuse my terrible english in writing :)

These second type of Aprons mainly appears in the area of Nuremburg (Nürnberg). So its a special south german thing.

A little bit later wider aprons of type one appear. With smockwork/pleatwork at the upper end. This aprons cover not only a narrow space in the middel but go from hip to hip :)
Such an apron i have made recently
If you like to look:
http://sasphyria.livejournal.com/tag/sch%C3%BCrze

Greetings from Jacqueline