Monday, October 22, 2007

Bias!

Another of my many fabric ignorances...

bi·as /ˈbaɪəs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bahy-uhs]
–noun
1. an oblique or diagonal line of direction, esp. across a woven fabric.

I've heard the term a lot, but I've never really commited it to memory. Therefore, we want the stretch (left and right normally) to be diamonds across the fabric instead of boxes. This likely sounds pretty simple, but I've never put clothing together. Some things, bias won't matter, like the apron or the steuchlein, since stretch won't matter, but the hosen will. If I make the pattern on the straight grain (squares up and down) then make the hosen on the bias (diamonds up and down), then the pattern shouldn't warp too much and the hosen should stretch where it's supposed to. It's making more sense to me as I think about it.

Now here's a site that's supposed to be for learning how to sew and it's a little over my head (completely ignorant, can I say that too many more times?)

Learn to Sew - Bias Basics

I'll decipher it as I do German sites. :D

No comments: