Thursday, November 8, 2007

Flint and Steel

Another project in which I'm currently involved inspired me to do some research on flint, steel and tinder. I think I might use this as a project for my Yule present. I figure I can make a small pouch to carry the flint, steel and tinder necessary for making a fire. I doubt it'll take all that much work other than perhaps making the steel in the right shape, but I think I might be able to get my husband to help on that front.

Stephan's Florilegium's article on Fire Starting

Feuersteine - flint stone

Wikipedia: Tinder

2 comments:

elfchen said...

For A simple and cheap firestriker you can go to any blacksmith. This should be a simple job for him.

:) i dont know how to make an firestriker by myself.

Khaentlahn said...

Actually, my husband was a blacksmith at one point, but he's on the other side of the country right now. I'll have to ask him. Thanks!