Monday, September 19, 2011

Taking Apart Images - Part 6 - Saint Luke Painting the Virgin by Derick Baegert

Derick Baegert was a North Rhine/Westphalian painter who lived from about 1440-1515. There are estimates that this piece, Saint Luke Painting the Virgin, was produced c1470, while others claim c1485-90. In either case, this should be a reasonable study for this series.  I have chosen to pay more attention to the objects within this painting than the clothing, though I will say that Saint Luke's outfit puts me in mind of winter and cold with all of his layers or perhaps he's layered because all the windows are open and they are sitting beside an open doorway.


The details in this painting that I wanted to mention are as follows:

The serving stein or Steinzeug-krug, though I'm uncertain if it would still be called a Steinzeug-krug as it looks to be made of metal, not stoneware.


Above the serving stein are glass containers.  I'm uncertain what they would have contained, but considering the other objects on the cabinet, they were likely for wine or oil, perhaps another beverage or liquid used for cooking.  There are recreations of these on the Medieval Design website (the image following the artwork detail).




I'm uncertain how to identify this next container, but it reminds me of crocks with lids.


I really liked this cherry basket.  I have no idea whether its intention was only for cherries or for whatever fruit may have been in season, but it's a nice addition to the cabinet.


I'm uncertain what this decorative container would be called, but it is conspicuous with Greek lettering around its circumference (or I could be imagining things).  Greek in origin?


His painter's palette [~8-9" (~20-23cm) in length and 5" (~12.5cm) in width] is a unique shape that I've never seen before, but then I'm not a painter. :)


A convex mirror [frame is perhaps 10" (~25cm) in diameter] hanging between windows.


Furniture time!  What is this cabinet called?  I love the lines and the shape of it, whatever it is. :)  The scroll work under the upper shelf, the way the door hangs just a little open, the rectangular-cut 'paneling' along the back and sides.


And last, but not least, is his easle.  From what little research I've done thus far, as I said I'm not an artist, easels haven't changed all that much since this period in time to now, which is comforting somehow.



Have you ever noticed that the further you get into the detail of a piece, the more questions you end up finding in your unending research list?  I have not made an exhaustive study of this piece, but brought out some of the smaller details for later study.

No comments: