Sunday, October 2, 2011

Taking Apart Images - Part 8.1 - Children of the Planets: Mercury and His Children by Meister Hausbuch

I knew at some point I was going to pull apart one or more of Meister Hausbuch's drawings, but part of me was dreading it.  Pros - There are many objects in his drawings.  Cons - There are so many objects in his drawings!  This was going to be a major undertaking, but I knew it had to be done at some point.  So the first installment of the Children of the Planets series is Mercury (which I'd already used for my Steinzeug-krug post a few weeks ago).  I choose it for two reasons, primarily because it had one thing in particular in the drawing, and secondly, because it was one of the 'lighter' object infused drawings.  I have no idea what order the Planet drawings are supposed to follow, therefore, I'll do them in whatever order suits my fancy. :D  On to the drawing!
I prefer to start with the miscellaneous objects, since searching for 'objects in artwork' tends to be the most difficult search imaginable.  I have separated a few sections from this study into separate posts for more detailed study, namely the clock/quadrant section (middle left), the convex mirror (top right) and the clothing.


You find some of the most interesting objects in images when you really make a point of studying them in detail.  Take for instance this first detailed image.  I knew what it was.  I'd seen it before, but for the life of me I couldn't remember it's name, until I did a little research.  Come to find out, very few websites attribute hornbooks to Germany at this period in time and yet, this appears to be one.  Now it is possible that this is not a typical hornbook.  For one, he (she?) is using it upside down and, for another, he appears to be writing on it.  Could or would they have written on a horn surface at this point in history?  It's also possible that he's defying his teacher while his teacher is distracted disciplining another child.


Next we find a nice, normal drawstring bag... It's nice to find something simple.


Eyeglasses - This is why I chose to study this drawing.  Using the Wayback Machine I was able to pull up a London pair of rivets specs.  At The On-line Museum and Encyclopedia of Vision Aids. I found a pair from Florence, Italy dated to after 1450 that are very similar to these (image culled below)  The caption on the image states that they are made of bone.


Is this next image a lamp or another type of container?


And a nice stoneware mug...

Dining Table - I like the design of the round table with all the two place settings.  In fact, I particularly love the scrollwork on the legs and the details in its construction.  It appears as if the tablecloth is made specifically for this table and that the place settings have small sauce cups for the goose?/gander? in the middle of the table.  There also appear to be only knives on the table, but these diners do not hold any food within their hands.




No comments: