Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Taking Apart Images - Part 9.1 - Children of the Planets: Saturn and His Children by Meister Hausbuch

I'm a glutton for punishment.  I realized that I might as well do all of Meister Hausbuch's Children of the Planets.  My next stop is Saturn. Why...?

...When I began taking apart Mercury and His Children, I had chosen the image because of the eye glasses within the image, but I didn't realize at the time that Mercury was considered the sixth planet of the seven.  I thought I might as well start at the beginning(?) with Saturn and work through them one at a time.

Before I began going through Meister Hausbuch's Planet images, I knew next to nothing about medieval astronomy and astrology.  I can safely say that I don't have much interest in astrology, but I've always been fascinated by astronomy.  After doing a little background information on the basis for these images, I made a persona discovery.

Prior to Copernicus' book De revolutionibus orbium coelestium in 1543 (he was a German, btw), the medieval world believed that the planets rotated around the Earth (geocentricity) as opposed to the Sun (heliocentricity) and it wasn't until later into the 19th-20th century that Copernicus' theories began to be accepted to a certain degree.  What's fascinating about geocentricity and heliocentricity is that neither theory is believed conclusively by everyone.  There are still many people that believe in a geocentric system over a heliocentric system and vice versa, so which is correct?  For this study, it's irrelevant, but it is important to remember when studying these and other areas of period astronomy that all writings (except for a select few) were based on the geocentric system during the entire Middle Ages.

At any rate, here we have Saturn, the first planet, with Capricorn (the goat) and Aquarius (the waterman).  My first post is full of the miscellaneous items that I find interesting...


Bells... I have no idea what the history behind bells might be, but I like that there is something within this image that I recognize that can be bought at your local hobby store and Saturn has them all over his horse.


A backpack styled water bucket... I think this is absolutely neat and it would make carrying water back to camp easier and less stressful on the hands.


A basic walking stick...

 
A basic crutch... I think it would be cool for Chiurgeon's to have these available for those twisted ankles. :D


Bag with a metal frame opening...  I believe this was intended as a work bag as opposed to a bag used for money or personal items, because it appears as if he is putting rocks or other found valuables within it.


Basic leather girdle purse... For a non-visual tutorial putting this type of purse together read through Basics of Turnshoe and Pouch Making by Baron James de Biblesworth M.K.A. James Barker.  For some visuals (but no instructions) visit Shoes and Bags or Belts, Bracers, and Bags!.  Unfortunately, I have yet to find a site containing this single strapped version of the girdle purse, but obviously this shows they existed (unless the artist was too lazy to make a double strap).  I wonder if this might be another Germanic convention...?

No comments: