Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Purse Frame

In many of the paintings I've viewed thus far, quite a few have had openings that were rigid circular frames. They didn't make a heck of a lot of sense to me, until I found the following link:

I've also included the photo from the above site for easy reference:


According to the above link, fine velvet and fabrics were used to construct the actual pouch of the purse. Now, granted, the above picture is from a London find, but there are many German paintings having the same type of construction. Like in the following:

Triptych by Hans Memling (c1470) - Framed Purse Detail of kneeling man in center foreground

At any rate, I think I like how this one looks and if I can figure out how to make it or find someone who already makes them, I'd be rather happy. I've included another picture of the purse itself in use:
William Browne, 1489 engr. c. 1465, Stamford. Lincolnshire

I know thus far that for a female prior to the German Renaissance, it was more commonly worn between the undergown and the overgown, so it wouldn't have been readily seen by passerby.


No comments: