Monday, October 8, 2007

Salt Glazing

While looking through the various candlesticks and tableware I could find, there was a reference to 'salt glazing'. I'd never heard of it before, but then my knowledge is decidedly limited to say the least. At any rate, it was a technique that was apparently derived in the Rhineland of Germany roughly in the 14th century used on earthenware and later on stoneware up through the 17th century.

Wikipedia - Salt Glaze Pottery


Salt glaze, in ceramics, a glaze having the texture of orange peel, formed on stoneware by throwing common salt into the kiln at the peak temperature. Sodium from the salt combines with silica in the clay to form a glassy coating of sodium silicate.


This is an image of a salt-glazed syrup container. It's not a period piece, but I was trying to find an image of what salt-glazing looks like. The detail on the bottom shows a bit more what the texture looks like, but I'd prefer to touch one at some point. Another project I suppose.

No comments: